1 clay casting* each (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions): #253 – Reindeer and #255 – Sleigh
Sandpaper or emery board
Acrylic primer or white acrylic paint
Acrylic paints or markers: red, gold
Linter paper (or heavy white paper)
White glue or tacky glue
Paper for message
Paper Edgers® scissors (Deckle)
Gold trim 1/8” wide x 3/8” long
1. While clay is wet, use a knife to trim each casting approx. 1/8” away from design. Let dry.
2. Sand rough edges smooth.
3. Apply a coat of primer and let dry.
4. Use red paint or marker to color the reindeer’s nose. Use gold to color the light beams around his nose.5. Tear linter paper (see Rycraft Cotton Linter), and layer it to make the snowdrifts in the scene. You will need 5 layers total, depending on how you tear the paper.
6. Glue both castings onto the back 3 layers before you glue the last 2 layers on top – let some of the torn edges actually overlap onto the castings to add more dimension to the scene.
7. Cut a piece of gold trim (to make the harness), plus a piece of gold cord (to reach from the reindeer’s harness to the sleigh). Attach both with glue.
8. Either handwrite a message, or print it from a computer, and glue onto card. Optional: Trim message with Paper Edgers® as we have done.
9. Glue gift card to package wrapping.
Below: Notice how we let some of the "drifts" go up over the bottom of the sleigh and the reindeer's feet.
Project designed and created by Sue Moore. Photography by Paperworks, Corvallis, OR