#420 – Holly Sprig
Paper Casting Project
Deck the halls!
Christmas cards and cookies that bring smiles
to those you love at Christmas!
1 Rycraft cookie stamp or craft stamp #420 – Holly Sprig (2) OR #023 – Holly Sprig (1))
100% Cotton Linter (Rycraft Paper Casting Kit or Refill)
1 paper casting* of design #308 – Poinsettia (see Basic Paper Casting Instructions).
Clear acrylic varnish
1 blank greeting card
3 pieces of your choice of decorative papers and colors (we used a piece of red approx. 3 1/4" square, a piece of metallic gold approx. 2 3/4" square, and a piece of black paper approx. 2 1/2" square)
Acrylic paints: metallic gold, red, green
Optional: Glitter (ultra fine)
*Note: Alternately, the casting for this project may be made from clay instead of paper (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions). The choice is yours.
1. Let casting dry thoroughly. Then varnish the casting to seal it before painting (so wet paint won't make design disappear). Let dry. Optional: Apply a 2nd coat of varnish for more permanence. Variation: Varnish only the holly design and leave background area unvarnished.
2. Apply paint to design as shown, one color at a time, and let paint dry between coats so colors won't run together. Optional: While red paint is still wet, add glitter, shake off excess, and let dry.
3. Optional: Apply another coat of varnish to protect painted casting.
4. Cut papers to fit your card and to then fit one over the other leaving nice borders. Glue 3 pieces together and let dry. Then glue them to the card.
5. Glue casting to center of black paper.