#211 – Quilted Heart on Tiny Crochet Doily
Magnet or Gift Box Decoration
Paper Casting Project
Use the completed piece as an ornament, a
package decoration, to adorn note paper,
or as a decorative magnet.
This paper casting project is featured along with dozens of others
Clear acrylic varnish
1 crochet or tatted doily, stiffened (see How to Stiffen Doilies)
Optional: small magnet (from craft store)
Note: Doilies can be purchased at craft stores, fabric stores, and many other places, especially at Christmastime. Also look for small doilies in the doll-making section of your craft store.
*Note: Alternately, the casting for this project may be made from clay instead of paper (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions). The choice is yours.
1. Coat the doily with varnish (a matte finish would probably be best) to give it more strength.
2. Cut out the heart shape from the paper medallion.
3. Varnish the cutout and let dry.
4. Glue the heart to the center of the doily.
5. Apply one or two more coats of
varnish for added protection.
6. Optional: Glue magnet to back of doily.
in our book The Art of Paper Casting, which includes basic paper casting
instructions, techniques for special effects, and a glossary of terms.
Cookie decorated by and photograph courtesy of Goose Hill Farms.