1 clay casting* #131 – Star of David OR #342 – Star of David (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions)
Sandpaper or emery board
Acrylic paints: ultra-deep blue, white, gold (Note: gold acrylic paints are easy to use. Finding the right color gold is tricky. We used Delta’s GleamsTM Ceramcoat® acrylic paint.)
Rub ‘n Buff ®, foam brush or SpouncerTM by PLAID ®, soft cloth
Papier-mache box with lid
Gold fabric trims
1. Using a knife, trim approx. 1/4” to 3/8” away from the design, following the shape of the Star of David. Let dry. Sand any rough edges smooth.
2. Apply a coat of primer to casting and let dry.
3. Paint casting white, then gold. Let dry between coats.
4. Use Rub ‘n Buff® on the edges to give a soft gold edge against the white.
5. Apply a coat of primer to box. Let dry.
6. Paint box deep blue. This will take 2 to 4 coats. Optional: Paint inside of box.
7. Glue casting and trims to box.
8. Apply a coat of varnish and let dry. Note: Leave the lid off the box for about a day or two to make sure it is completely dry. Otherwise, it may stick shut.