1 clay casting* - #408 – Woven Hearts (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions)
1 2" round cookie cutter
Sandpaper or emery board (fine grit)
Acrylic primer (optional)
3 pieces of your choice of decorative papers and colors (we used a piece of tan craft paper for the background paper, brown for the middle piece, and a silver-green piece for the top.
Acrylic clear varnish (optional)
Acrylic paints: metallic silver, black
Tacky glue or hot glue
1. While clay is wet, cut out casting using cookie cutter. Let dry.
2. Sand rough edges smooth.
3. Optional: Apply primer and let dry.
4. Apply black paint to background area of casting and let dry. Apply silver to background area either using a dry-brush method or paint on and wipe off so black shows through (as shown) and let dry. Then apply silver paint to woven design and let dry.
5. Optional: Apply a coat of varnish for permanence. Note: Varnish will leave a more glossy finish.
5. Cut papers to fit the size of your book and to fit one over the other leaving nice borders. Glue 3 pieces together and let dry.
7. Glue painted casting to top paper and let dry.
8. Glue artwork to book cover.