1 clay casting*: #366 – Elephant (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions)
2” round cookie cutter
Sandpaper or emery board
Acrylic paints: deep rust-brown, black, white, 3 shades of gray (can mix white with black)
1 mug of your choice
1. While clay is still wet, use cookie cutter (or knife) to cut out design; if your mug has a rounded surface where you will affix the casting (rather than flat), then gently press wet cut-out casting over area so casting will dry conformed to the rounded shape. Let dry.
2. Sand rough or uneven areas smooth.
3. Apply a coat of primer to both sides of casting and let dry.
4. Apply rust-brown paint to background area and edges of casting . Let dry.
5. Apply the various colors of paint to elephant, one color at a time (as shown below), starting with the black outline and shadows in crevices. Apply each color separately, and let dry between coats so colors won't run together.
6. Use hot glue to affix the casting to the mug. Hold in position until glue dries.