Clay* - Karen used Magic Sculpt® or you can use non-toxicCreative Paperlay® which air dries to a paintable pure white (no oven needed)
1 clay casting* - #366 – Elephant (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions)
2” cookie cutter
Sandpaper or emery board
1 heart-shaped craft box
2 pieces of fabric cut to fit: (1) the inside of the craft box, and (2) the top of the box lid
Acrylic paints: I used light blue and dark blue for the elephant casting, and a medium blue for the inside and outside of the box.
White glue or Tacky Glue®
Optional: Acrylic Varnish (liquid applied with brush or spray varnish)
Optional: Small magnet
1. While clay is still wet, cut out casting using a cookie cutter. Let dry. Sand off any rough edges.
2. Paint the inside and outside of the craft box using the medium blue paint and let dry.
3. Paint both sides of the elephant casting using the light blue paint and let dry. Then paint on the dark blue paint and wipe most of it off while it is still wet, so it gives the shadowed effect shown in the photo and makes the elephant stand out more. Let dry.
4. Optional: Apply a coat of varnish to the casting. Let dry.
5. Optional: Glue magnet to back of elephant casting so it may later be removed from the box and used as a refrigrator magnet.
6. Cut out 2 pieces of fabric to match your paint and glue them to the box as shown: (1) on the bottom of the inside of the box, and (2) on the top of the ouside of the box lid.
7. Glue the casting to the center of the box lid as shown below.
Project above designed and created by our customer Karen Lewis