#353 - Cup O' Tea
Teapot Decoration Clay Casting Project
Decorate a teapot and bake some cookies
for that special tea party!
1 Rycraft cookie stamp or craft stamp: #353 - Cup O' Tea
Clay - we recommend Creative Paperclay® which is non-toxic and air dries to a paintable pure white
1 clay casting*: #353 - Cup O' Tea (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions)
2" round cookie cutter
Sandpaper or emery board
Paint brush, fine-tipped
Acrylic paints: medium blue, light blue, metallic gold, golden-brown, pearl white, hunter green, pink
1 ceramic teapot of your choice
Acrylic varnish (optional)
1. Make one clay casting, and while it is still wet, cut it out with the 2" round cookie cutter. Then place the cut-out on the teapot to make its shape conform to the curve of the teapot. Gently remove the casting and let it dry thoroughly.
2. Sand any rough edges smooth.
3. Apply a coat of pearl white acrylic paint as a primer. Let dry.
4. Use a fine-tipped paint brush to apply light blue acrylic paint to the cup handle, the lower portion of the cup (below dots) and saucer as shown. Let dry.
5. Apply medium blue paint to the upper portion of cup lip above the dots as shown. Let dry.
6. Apply golden-brown paint to the liquid in cup. Let dry.
7. Apply pearl white paint to steam above cup. Let dry.
8. Apply pink paint to flowers. Let dry.
9. Apply green paint to leaves. Let dry.
10. Apply gold paint on tip-top of cup handle, on cup rim, on edge of saucer and on inside ring of saucer. Let dry.
11. Apply gold paint on dots around upper third of cup, and as a center dot on each of the 3 flowers, and as 3 tiny veins on each of the 6 leaves. Let dry.
12. Optional: Apply a coat of acrylic varnish for a shiner appearance.
13. Use hot glue to affix finished casting to teapot. Hold in place until firmly set.