#353 - Cup O' Tea
Papercast Greeting Card
Plan a tea party for your friends
and send them this unique handmade invitation!
1 plain greeting card and envelope
Glue of your choice or hot glue and glue gun
Specialty papers - we used:
1 piece 2 5/8" x 2 5/8" metallic gold, and
1 piece 2 5/8" x 2 5/8" marble gray-blue paper
Acrylic paints**: medium blue, light blue, metallic gold, golden-brown, pearlescent white, hunter green, pink
*Note: Alternately, the casting for this project may be made from clay instead of paper (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions). The choice is yours.
1. When paper casting is dry, with a paint brush, gently apply a coat of varnish to just the cup and saucer, to seal the design from moisture (so it will not swell and lose the design when paint is applied). Leave the rest of the casting natural - it will not be varnished or painted. Apply a 2nd coat of varnish to the cup and saucer and let dry.
2. Use a fine-tipped paint brush to apply light blue paint to the cup handle, the lower portion of the cup (below dots) and saucer as shown. Let dry.
3. Apply blue to the upper portion of cup lip above the dots as shown. Let dry.
4. Apply golden-brown to the liquid in cup. Let dry.
5. Apply pearlescent white to steam above cup. Let dry.
6. Apply pink to flowers. Let dry.
7. Apply green to leaves. Let dry.
8. Apply gold on tip-top of cup handle, on cup rim, on edge of saucer and on inside ring of saucer. Let dry.
9. Apply gold on dots around upper third of cup, and as a center dot on each of the 3 flowers, and as 3 tiny veins on each of the 6 leaves.
10. Optional: Use a paintbrush to apply a coat of varnish just to the cup and saucer to give it a shiny effect. Let dry. Apply a 2nd coat of varnish if desired for more sturdiness. The cup and saucer begin to look like they're made of clay. Let dry.
11. Cut specialty papers to 2 5/8" x 2 5/8" and trim the corners with Paper Edgers® or punch tool (from craft stores). Then glue to upper portion of card.
12. Use glue or hot glue to affix painted and varnished casting to center of paper.
13. Optional: Sign your name as shown.
**Note: There is no dark brown or black paint on this card. When it was scanned, light reflected off the gold paint so it appears to be brown/black in places. Just apply gold paint wherever you see gold or brown/black and it will be gorgeous! These photos don't do it justice.
Greeting card designed and created by Alex Haug.