1. Let casting dry thoroughly. Then varnish the casting to seal it before painting (so wet paint won't make design disappear). Let dry. Optional: Apply a 2nd coat of varnish for more permanence. Variation: Varnish only the cake design and leave background area unvarnished.
2. Apply brown paint to side of cake as shown and let dry.
3. Apply pastel colors to candles and flames as shown and let dry.
4. Apply pearl white to top row of frosting and bottom row of frosting (as shown) and let dry. Then use a dry brush to apply highlights on brown frosting with the pearl white.
5. Add pearl pink to dots around top and bottom rows of white icing. Let dry.
6. Optional: Apply another coat of varnish to protect painted casting.
7. Cut papers to fit your card and to then fit one over the other leaving nice borders. Use the paper edgers to cut the pastel blue paper as shown. Glue all 3 pieces together and let dry. Then glue them to the card.
8. Glue casting to center of top paper.