This clay casting project is featured along with dozens of others
in our book The Art of Clay Casting, which includes basic paper casting
instructions, techniques for special effects, and a glossary of terms.
1. While clay is still wet, trim casting close to the design with a sharp knife. Let dry.
2. Sand any rough edges smooth.
3. Apply a coat of terra cotta paint and let dry.
4. Use the dry brush method (see Techniques for Special Effects) to apply the gray-blue paint and let dry.
5. Glue tie tack to back of casting.
6. After glue is dry, apply terra cotta paint to back of casting.
7. Apply a coat of varnish front and back, and let dry.
Project designed and created by Sue Moore. Photography by Paperworks, Corvallis, OR