#315 – Trout Greeting Card
Paper Casting Project
1 Rycraft cookie stamp or craft stamp #315 – Trout
100% Cotton Linter (Rycraft Paper Casting Kit or Refill)
1 paper casting* of design #315 – Trout (see Basic Paper Casting Instructions).
1 blank greeting card
3 pieces of your choice of decorative papers and colors**: We used a piece of gold and black textured paper approx. 3 1/16" square, a piece of plain black paper approx. 2 3/4" square, and a piece of black, rust and gold decorative paper cut to approx. 2 5/8" square.
Clear acrylic varnish
Acrylic paints: black or very dark gray, pale lavender, pale aqua blue, pale green, iridescent white
*Note: Alternately, the casting for this project may be made from clay instead of paper (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions). The choice is yours.
1. When casting is dry, varnish the casting to seal it before painting (so wet paint won't make design disappear). Let dry. Optional: Apply a 2nd coat of varnish for more permanence.
2. Apply paint to fish design, one color at a time, letting paint dry between coats so paints won't run together. Start with black as a background color, then pale blue along top of fish and top fin, then pale green on nose, lower belly of fish and tail fin, then pale lavender on jaw and center of fish down to tail. Let dry thoroughly.
3. Optional: Apply another coat of varnish to protect painted casting.
4. Cut papers to fit your card and to then fit one over the other leaving nice borders. Glue 3 pieces together and let dry. Then glue them to the card.
5. Glue casting to center of top paper on card.
**Optional alternate color combination: a piece of silver textured paper approx. 3 1/16" square, a piece of plain dark gray approx. 2 3/4" square, and a piece of black and gray decorative paper cut to approx. 2 5/8" square). Paints for the casting would be the same.
Greeting card designed and created by Alex Haug.