#313 – Seahorse Greeting Card
Paper Casting Project
A delightful way to send a friend a summer greeting!
1 Rycraft cookie stamp or craft stamp #313 – Seahorse
100% Cotton Linter (Rycraft Paper Casting Kit or Refill)
1 paper casting* of design #313 – Seahorse (see Basic Paper Casting Instructions).
1 blank greeting card
2 pieces of your choice of decorative papers and colors**: We used a piece of cream color textured paper approx. 3" x 3 1/2", and a piece of green and gold decorative paper cut to approx. 2 1/2" x 2 7/8".
Clear acrylic varnish
Acrylic paints: medium green, medium blue, metallic gold
Optional: Clear ultrafine glitter
*Note: Alternately, the casting for this project may be made from clay instead of paper (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions). The choice is yours.
1. When casting is dry, varnish the casting to seal it before painting (so wet paint won't make design disappear). Let dry. Optional: Apply a 2nd coat of varnish for more permanence.
2. Apply paint to seahorse design, one color at a time, letting paint dry between coats so paints won't run together. Start with medium green as a background color, then medium blue on center portion of body and back of neck as shown, then metallic gold on ridges of body and to highlight head as shown. Optional: While gold paint is still wet, apply ultra-fine glitter. Let dry thoroughly.
3. Optional: Apply another coat of varnish to protect painted casting.
4. Cut papers to fit your card and to then fit one over the other leaving nice borders. Glue 2 pieces together and let dry. Then glue them to the card.
5. Glue casting to center of top paper on card.
Greeting card designed and created by Alex Haug.