1 round gift box (we used a cardboard box from the craft store)
2 pieces of your choice of decorative papers and colors: We used a piece of natural kraft paper for the background, and a very pale green decorative paper, both cut into circles as shown.
Clear acrylic varnish
Acrylic spray paint: light green for outside of box
Acrylic paints: medium green, medium blue, metallic gold (or any colors you prefer)
Optional: Ultra-fine clear glitter
1. When casting is dry, varnish the casting to seal it before painting (so wet paint won't make design disappear). Let dry. Optional: Apply a 2nd coat of varnish for more permanence.
2. Spray paint the box and let dry.
2. Apply paint to seahorse design, one color at a time, letting paint dry between coats so paints won't run together. Start with medium green as a background color, then medium blue for the center of the body and back of neck as shown, then metallic gold to highlight ribbed portions and to highlight head as shown. Optional: While gold paint is still wet, apply glitter. Let dry thoroughly.
3. Optional: Apply another coat of varnish to protect painted casting.
4. Cut papers to fit your box and to then fit one over the other leaving nice borders. Glue 2 pieces together and let dry. Then glue them to the box.
5. Glue casting to center of top paper on box.