1 clay casting* #306 – Rolling Star (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions).
Round cookie cutter
Sandpaper or emery board
Acrylic paint: white
Rub ‘n Buff ®, foam brush or SpouncerTM by PLAID ®, soft cloth
Ultra-fine glitter (optional)
Hot glue and tacky glue
Ribbon, cord, or fishing line for hanger
1. While clay is wet, cut out casting with the cookie cutter. Use a knife to cut 1/8” to 1/4” away from the edges of the star design – to form star points which touch the edge of the cut circle. Note: Using the cookie cutter helps eliminate odd lengths for the points of the star. Let dry.
2. Sand rough edges smooth.
3. Apply primer and let dry.
4. Apply paint. Let dry.
5. Apply Rub ‘n Buff® as desired.
6. Optional: Apply tacky glue and sprinkle on ultra-fine glitter. Let dry.
7. Use hot glue to attach hanger to back.
This clay casting project is featured along with dozens of others
in our book The Art of Clay Casting, which includes basic paper casting
instructions, techniques for special effects, and a glossary of terms.
Project designed and created by Sue Moore.
Photography by Paperworks, Corvallis, OR.