1 clay casting #306 – Rolling Star (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions).
Crimper cookie cutter
Sandpaper or emery board
Acrylic paints: red, green, gold
Rub ‘n Buff ®, foam brush or SpouncerTM by PLAID ®, soft cloth
Paper (art, origami, wrapping) for tag (we used 1 piece green and a smaller piece of red).
Paper Edgers® (Scallop)
Permanent gold marker (Pilot or Uchida)
1. While clay is wet, cut out casting with crimper cookie cutter and let dry.
2. Sand rough edges smooth.
3. Apply a coat of primer and let dry.
4. Paint casting as shown in photo.
5. Apply Rub ‘n Buff® as desired
6. Use Scallop Paper Edgers® to cut green and red papers into rectangles for tag (for a variation, try flipping the paper over to reverse the Paper Edgers® cut-out design). The green piece that goes in back needs to be larger than the red piece (as shown).
7. Use tacky glue to attach red paper cut-out on top of green cut-out. Write your message with the gold marker and let dry. Then glue casting to one corner of tag.
7. Attach bow to package. Use hot glue to attach tag to bow.
This clay casting project is featured along with dozens of others
in our book The Art of Clay Casting, which includes basic paper casting
instructions, techniques for special effects, and a glossary of terms.
Project designed and created by Sue Moore. Photography by Paperworks, Corvallis, OR.