1 plain greeting card and envelope
Glue of your choice or hot glue and glue gun
Specialty paper of your choice - we used:
1 piece 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" metallic copper, gold and black paper
Acrylic paints: metallic orange (copper), metallic gold, metallic light green, black, light brown
Fine-tipped black pen
*Note: Alternately, the casting for this project may be made from clay instead of paper (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions). The choice is yours.
1. When paper casting is dry, with a paint brush, gently apply a coat of varnish to just the pumpkin and stem, to seal the design from moisture (so it will not swell and lose the design when paint is applied). Leave the rest of the casting natural - it will not be varnished or painted. Apply a 2nd coat of varnish to the pumpkin and stem. Let dry.
2. Apply orange paint to pumpkin, excluding eyes, nose, mouth, and stem. Let dry.
3. Apply brown to bottom third of stem. Let dry
4. Apply metallic green to stem, blending with brown for a natural look. Let dry.
5. Apply gold to the center of the orange pumpkin skin "ribs" (vertically) and the stem (as a highlight to the highest portions of the pumpkin design). Apply gold to the lowest portion of eyes, nose and mouth. Let dry.
6. Apply black to edges of eyes, nose and mouth. Also put black dots at bottom center of both eyes. Let dry.
7. Use a paintbrush to apply a coat of varnish to the pumpkin and stem, to give it a shiny effect. Let dry. Optional: Apply a 2nd coat of varnish if desired for more sturdiness. It will begin to look like it's made of clay. Let dry.
8. Cut specialty paper to 2 1/2" x 2 1/2". Then glue to upper portion of card.
9. Use fine-tipped black pen and ruler to draw a box around the paper as a frame.
10. Use glue or hot glue to affix painted and varnished casting to center of paper.
11. Optional: Sign your name as shown.