#280 – Jack O' Lantern
Bow Decoration Paper Casting Project
Attach this charming bow decoration to a festive holiday pumpkin on your party table,
or wrap up a plate of Halloween cookies in some cellophane and attach
the raffia & casting bow to create a charming Halloween gift.
1. If you want to paint your casting: First apply a coat of varnish to the casting and let dry.
2. Apply beige paint (we tried to match the raffia) to the background area of the casting and let dry.
3. Apply gold to the deepest portion of eyes, nose and mouth and let dry.
4. Apply orange to the pumpkin skin and let dry.
5. Apply brown to the stem and let dry.
6. Cut a mask out of the construction paper to fit the shape of your pumpkin. Glue the mask to the pumpkin.
7. Loop the raffia in half to make a "bow" and glue the paper casting to the raffia (we used hot glue). Then glue the bow to the pumpkin.
Notice below: We left the edges of the eyes, nose and mouth white (the natural color of the paper casting -- we did not apply white paint) for a highlighted effect.
Project designed and created by Sue Moore. Cookies baked by Robin Rycraft. Photographs by Paperworks, Corvallis, OR.
These paper casting projects are featured along with dozens of others
in our book The Art of Paper Casting, which includes basic paper casting
instructions, techniques for special effects, and a glossary of terms.