*Note: Alternately, the casting for this project may be made from paper instead of clay (see Basic Paper Casting Instructions), cutout with scissors, and painted the same as in the instructions below, but be sure to varnish the paper casting first (so the paints won't distort the design) and omit the primer. Optional: Varnish again after painting, for added sturdiness.
Instructions for clay casting:
1. While clay is still wet, use knife or cookie cutter to cut out design. Let dry.
2. Sand rough or uneven areas smooth.
3. Apply a coat of primer to both sides of casting and let dry.
4. Apply white paint to background and edges (as shown). Let dry.
5. Apply yellow paint to flower (as shown). Let dry.
6. Apply red paint to edge (as shown). Let dry.
6. Wrap raffia ribbon around candle and glue edges closed.
7. Use hot glue to affix the casting to the raffia ribbon to cover up edges where glued. Hold in position until glue dries.