1 clay casting*: #255 – Sleigh (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions)
2" round cookie cutter
Candle holder (ours is wood but ceramic and glass are okay too)
Sandpaper or emery board
Acrylic paints: pearl white, black, green, gold and red (you can use this to paint holder with brush or use spray paint)
Optional: Acrylic spray paint: red
Optional: Clear acrylic varnish
1. Make one clay casting, and while it is still wet, cut it out with the 2" round cookie cutter. If the surface of your candle holder is not flat, place the cut-out on the side where it will go and make its shape conform to any curves. Gently remove the casting and let it dry thoroughly.
2. Sand any rough edges smooth.
3. Apply a coat of pearl white acrylic paint as a primer. Let dry.
4. Apply a coat (use a spray or brush it on) of red paint to candle holder and let dry. Note: For a more weathered look on a wood holder, lightly sand wood, then water down red paint a bit, brush on and wipe off excess so wood shows through. Experiment on bottom of holder 1st to get the technique down, then apply to sides that are visible.
5. Paint sleigh design on casting using photographs as a guide. Use one color at a time and let dry between coats so colors won't run into each other. Let dry.
6. Optional: Apply a coat of acrylic varnish for a shiner appearance.
7. Use hot glue to affix finished casting to candle holder. Hold in place until firmly set.