1. While clay is still wet, cut out maple leaf from casting with knife.
2. Sand rough or uneven areas smooth.
3. Apply a coat of primer to both sides of casting and let dry.
4. Apply a coat of the darker paint color.
5. Using the dry brush method (see Techniques for Special Effects), highlight castings with lighter color paint. Let dry. Note: Using foam will give the paint a soft, sponge-like look. If you don't like the results, just let it dry and repaint.
6. Wrap decorative paper around candle and glue closed at back.
7. Tie raffia around candle and tie a knot. Trim ends to an attractive length. Optional: Cut it long enough to tie a bow.
8. Use hot glue to affix the maple leaf to the raffia knot. Hold in position until glue dries.