1. Using the powder blue paint, apply a coat to the gift box. Let dry. Apply a second coat if desired. Let dry.
2. When paper casting is dry, apply a light coat of varnish to seal the casting from moisture (so it will not swell and lose the design when paint is applied). Apply a light 2nd coat of varnish and let dry.
3. Use a fine-tipped paint brush to apply brown paint to the rocking horse where shown (this includes the rocker on bottom). Let dry.
4. Apply powder blue to saddle and bridle, and a mottled effect over the brown on the rocker. Let dry.
5. Apply yellow to parts of the tail and mane (as shown), and the 3 straps. Let dry.
6. Apply a light coat of spray varnish to seal in paint. Let dry. Apply a 2nd coat of varnish if desired for more sturdiness. Let dry.
7. Use glue or hot glue to affix casting to top of box.
The papercast rocking horse below has a different color scheme.
Above casting from a greeting card designed and created by Alex Haug.