1. Let casting dry completely. Then varnish the casting to seal it before painting (so wet paint won't make design disappear). Let dry. Optional: Apply a 2nd coat of varnish for more permanence. Variation: Varnish only the rocking horse design and leave the background unvarnished.
2. Apply warm beige paint to horse’s body and center of rocker, and let dry. Then apply other colors, one color at a time, letting paint dry between coats so paints won't run together. Use light brown for the tail highlights and mane. Use medium blue for bridle and saddle straps and edging. Use purple for saddle center and dots. Use lavender-blue for outside of rocker.
3. Optional: Apply another coat of varnish to protect painted casting.
4. Fit 2 pieces of lavender paper, one over the other, leaving a nice border. Glue 2 pieces together and let dry.
5. Place completed painted rocking horse casting onto center of top paper. Let dry.
6. Mount artwork on card. Let dry.