1 craft cardboard plaque with hanger (from the craft store) – painted pink
2 pieces of your choice of decorative papers and colors (we used a piece of matte green approx. 2 5/8” square, and a piece of matte blue approx. 2 1/4" square)
Paint – metallic blue, metallic green, metallic lavender, metallic pink
White lettering to spell “WELCOME” or any word or phrase you want (we used peel-and-stick lettering). Note: You may use a felt pen or paint to do the lettering if you prefer. Optional: 4 lavender grommets (or you can substitute sequins or jewels; or use a purple pen to draw purple circles in each corner as shown)
1. Let casting dry thoroughly. Then varnish the casting to seal it before painting (so wet paint won't make design disappear). Let dry. Optional: Apply a 2nd coat of varnish for more permanence. Variation: Varnish only the house design and leave background area unvarnished.
2. Apply each color of paint to the house design as shown and let dry between each coat. Do the recessed portions of the design first.
4. Optional: Apply another coat of varnish to protect painted casting.
5. Cut papers and then fit one over the other leaving nice borders. Glue 2 pieces together and let dry.
6. Put 1 lavender grommet in each corner of blue paper as shown (through both pieces of paper).
7. Glue casting to blue paper and let dry.
8. Glue artwork to pink plaque and let dry.
9. Apply lettering to spell the word "WELCOME."
Casting artwork taken from a greeting card designed and created by Alex Haug.
Project designed and created by Maggie Montgomery.
Photograph by David Montgomery.