1. While clay is wet, cut out casting using cookie cutter. If you are going to make an ornament, use toothpick to poke a hole in the top (see How to Make a Hole). Let dry.
2. Sand rough edges smooth.
3. Optional: Apply primer and let dry.
4. Apply white paint to background and let dry. Apply other colors to windmill separately, letting paint dry between colors so they won't run together. Use silver to highlight the 4 supports for the sails, and pearlescent white for the sails themselves.
5. Optional: Apply a coat of varnish for permanence. Note: Varnish will leave a more glossy finish.
5. Use hot glue to attach magnet to back, or for ornament, attach hanger.
Shown below: Make 5 painted castings and attach to plaque
from craft store for a beautiful wall hanging.