1. While clay is wet, cut out casting using cookie cutter. If you are going to make an ornament, use toothpick to poke a hole in the top (see How to Make a Hole). Let dry.
2. Sand rough edges smooth.
3. Optional: Apply primer and let dry.
4. Apply white paint to background and let dry. Apply colors separately to engine, one color at a time (refer to photo), letting paint dry between colors.
5. Optional: Apply a coat of varnish for permanence. Note: Varnish will leave a more glossy finish.
6. Use hot glue to attach magnet to back, or make an ornament by attaching a piece of jute or string, fishing line, or ribbon 8" long (or longer if desired) for hanger.
Project above as well as cookies below were designed and created by Maggie Montgomery.
Photograph by David Montgomery.