1. While clay is wet, cut out casting using cookie cutter. If you are going to make an ornament, use toothpick to poke a hole in the top (see How to Make a Hole). Let dry.
2. Sand rough edges smooth.
3. Optional: Apply primer and let dry.
4. Apply white paint to background and let dry. Apply dark blue to circle of dots and horse's mane and eye, and let dry. Apply medium blue to horse's body and let dry. Apply gold to center of dots and to horses bridle and straps as shown.
5. Optional: Apply a coat of varnish for permanence. Note: Varnish will leave a more glossy finish.
5. Use hot glue to attach magnet to back, or for ornament, attach hanger.
Magnet and project shown above designed and created by Maggie Montgomery.
Photograph by David Montgomery.