#009 – Scottish Thistle Greeting Card
Paper Casting Project
1 Rycraft cookie stamp or craft stamp #009 – Scottish Thistle
100% Cotton Linter (Rycraft Paper Casting Kit or Refill)
1 paper casting* of design #009 – Scottish Thistle (see Basic Paper Casting Instructions).
1 blank greeting card
2 pieces of decorative papers : we used a piece of metallic gold cut to approx. 3 1/8" square and a piece of purple textured paper to match the purple paints we used, cut to 2 3/4" square.
Clear acrylic varnish
Acrylic paints: 2 shades of purple, dark green, metallic gold
*Note: Alternately, the casting for this project may be made from clay instead of paper (see Basic Clay Casting Instructions). The choice is yours.
1. Let casting dry completely. Then varnish the casting to seal it before painting (so wet paint won't make design disappear). Let dry. Optional: Apply a 2nd coat of varnish for more permanence. Variation: Varnish only the thistle design and leave the background unvarnished.
2. Apply dark green paint to the thistle leaves as shown, and let dry. Then apply darker purple to outside of petals and in between. Let dry. Then apply lighter shade of purple to highlight petals as shown and let dry. Apply metallic gold to highlight the raised green portions of thistle design as shown.
3. Optional: Apply another coat of varnish to protect painted casting.
4. Cut papers to fit your card and to then fit one over the other leaving a nice border. Glue 2 pieces together and let dry. Then glue them to the card.
5. Glue casting to center of top paper on card.
Greeting card designed and created by Alex Haug.